Estimated reading time: 3 minutes, 8 seconds
Hugs & Kisses from Levco
Did you ever wonder how to determine what kind of windows you are getting, reading plans can be confusing.
Understanding the window handing is handy. Here are my tips and techniques to help you understand the madness behind the secret code.
As you may well know, hugs and kisses are not a normal part of remodeling, (but they could be I suppose, hint-hint, wink-wink, say no more, say no more).
Just like Jack Black read his love letter to his girl in the cult classic movie Nacho Libre (My alter ego). We remodelers use X’s and O’s to explain the handing of windows.
For Love notes
O=Hugs & X=Kisses XXXoooXOx baby!
For Window and sliding glass doors handing
The symbols are used all the time when the remodelers and window manufacturers need to determine the handing, or which way the sliding door slides. So if we want to be sure the windows and siding doors open like we want them to, we must understand and interpret this little tidbit of information.
Window and door handing is always determined looking at a window from the exterior of the home.
- The “O” is used to denote the stationary sash or door panel. (sash means window in the industry)
- The “X” refers to the operable window sash or door panel. (sash means window in the industry)
Horizontal Sliding Windows:
To determine whether you require an XO or OX window simply pretend you are viewing the window from the exterior of your home.
- If you want the sliding panel to be the one on your left choose XO (Big Kiss & a Big Hug)
- If the operable is to be on the right choose OX. (Big Hug & a Big Kiss)
Vertical Sliding Windows:
Since vertical sliding windows operation is constant and known, there is no need to specify handing.
- Single hung windows the only panel that moves is operable and it is always the bottom panel.
- Double-hung windows both panels are operable.
Your mission, should you wish to accept it, is to run around your home identifying what kind of windows you’ve got. Who said there is no “Joy” in remodeling?
Inquiring minds want to know
Who is the braniac that failed to label the operable side “O”? I’ll tell you. When high rise buildings were being built the x was put on the operable window so they would know.I guess an “O” in tape was too hard to do. It stuck! (in more ways than one) Think of it as “X” marks the spot.
Casement windows are the same except that casement window crank out rather than slide from side to side. So handing in this case specifies which side the hinge is located on. With the graphic representation of a casement the hinged side is always at the pointed side of the dashed arrow.
Casement windows on the other hand are read from the inside.
- They are called FCL when the hinges and crank are located on the left side of the frame. AKA LH
- They are called FCR when the hinges and crank are located on the right side of the frame. AKA an RH
Your comments are welcome. To ask questions or get more information about remodeling, click here to email me directly, or call 208-947-7261
If you or someone you know is considering remodeling or just wants to speak to a trustworthy remodeling contractor please contact me, you’ll be glad you did.